With a plane ticket already purchased
and quite a few plans for childcare already in the works, Andy really
pushed me to take the time away even though I won't be able to see my
sister and niece. I balked at the idea quite honestly. I think a
combination of guilt and the sheer volume of work it takes to “leave”
was deterring me. But Andy would not let it go! That man is so kind
to me. So here I am, sitting in seat 14 F, flying away to my week of
Sabbath. A. WEEK. Of. Sabbath.
It was quite a bit of work to get all
the childcare lined up for the week and think through coaching Andy
to handle my normal responsibilities on top of his. You know things
like homework and birthday parties and laundry and meals. That man
is a saint for taking all this on so I could rest. A mini picture of
the gospel really. He is working so I can rest. (Thinking on
that picture does the heart good)
He will be just fine with out me. I
didn't nickname him the Butler for nothing. He's quite competent at
managing our home and puts me to shame in the cleaning department.
And as he reminded me, God's grace will show up to meet his needs
this week. Actually, it already has. God knows how weak and
barely-keeping-my head-above water I am. Planning in advance how to
feed 4 mouths for a week was a daunting task for me. No worries. God
to the rescue. Totally unprompted by me and JUST BEFORE my grocery
trip to gather food for my meals, a friend called and offered to
coordinate meals for Andy and the kids. YEP, every night my people
will be eating home cooked meals prepared and delivered with love by
my friends. Body of Chirst=awesomeness. God is so tender with this
“sheep caring for her young.” So though it was a lot of work to
“leave”, God gave me strength for what I needed to do and he
covered what was too much for me to do. GRACE FROM FIRST TO LAST.
As for the guilt, well, I just preached
the gospel to myself when those feelings came up and peace and
gratitude filled my heart. I am called to rest, yes commanded to
rest. Receiving the gift of rest for my body and mind shows the
greater reality of receiving the free gift of REST for my soul. I
can't work for the rest my soul needs. No, it was given to me
because Jesus worked. He worked a terribly difficult life of
obedience and love and self sacrifice and worked an even more
terrifying death on my behalf. He worked so I could rest.
You see, the discipline to get into
rythyms of rest is about TRUST, which is at the heart of the gospel.
It's about tursting the truth that he has worked on
my behalf so I can rest. Trusting and resting is about putting
God and myself in our rightful places. Him as worker...me as
receiver.
In the small decision to rest weekly,
I say to God “I am needy and I can't continue on without your
renewing of my body and soul.” And in larger chunks, like this
week, I scream it even louder. I NEED YOU. I am empty without you,
Lord. FILL ME to love you. RENEW ME to serve you. It's saying
“God, what I can't do, you can.”
Both the weekly rhythms and the longer
times of Sabbatical point to the most fundamental way I need him to
provide, as it relates to salvation. I say again, “God I can't do,
but you can.” Entering an abiding in a love relationship with
Christ is receiving the invitation to eternal Sabbath, it's receiving
the truth: He has worked so I can rest.
So for now, I fly away to my week of SABBATH to rest my body and my mind. And one day, OH BLESSED DAY, I will fly away to my eternal Sabbath!
So for now, I fly away to my week of SABBATH to rest my body and my mind. And one day, OH BLESSED DAY, I will fly away to my eternal Sabbath!

1 comment:
Enjoy your rest! Well deserved!!
Post a Comment