So, as you can tell, Emma Grace gets her love of reading from her Daddy. I remember just 9 months ago, I could hardly get her to sit through an entire book, but now, books are a major form of entertainment and education in our house. We often read together before naps and bedtime and she usually has some quiet reading time on her own each day. I've started making cozy little spots, like the one in the picture, for her to sit and read. If I add in a snack, she is sure to read for quite a long time!
Our books are shaping the way we see the world. We often quote lines from books to each other when a situation reminds us of our favorite books. When we see a great hat, we say, "I like that party hat!" or when I tell her I love her, I sometimes tell her "I love you to the moon and back." Books that were written for 3 and 4 year olds manage to delight my heart as well. I am learning to love reading as I teach my own children to love to read.
With no Mebane Library just minutes down the road, good English books are hard to come by here. A couple of months ago, Laura and I started a book swap. Every two weeks we trade ten books. That way our kiddos have some fun new reading material every couple of weeks. And my mom and Kathi started the Granny Book Mobile, where they send books to our kids each month to stay connected to them and to supply them with fun new books. There is an international school in our city and they allow non-students to use their library for a small fee. I am really looking forward to taking EG periodically to their library. So between all those resources, we have some great reading material!
5 comments:
EA, don't feel bad about the power naps during reading time, I always struggled staying awake too.
I love EG's cozy little spot under the window---great idea! She looks so old sitting there alone reading---she has really grown up these last 6 months.
As for Jackie boy--keep devouring those books, buddy. (It's a shame you guys don't feed him enough!)
Emma Grace you are a child after my heart (but you already knew that). I LOVE to read, to go off to an unknown place.....to be absorbed into another world......since I don't get to read enough, I often listen to books on cd. (next best thing to reading). Happy reading!!
Hey EA - I'm a friend of Andy's from North Myrtle Beach SP a loooong time ago, and I get your prayer updates, too. Anyway, I just wanted to comment and say that your post encouraged me that just maybe someday I'll be able to read with my son. He's almost 1 and there is no way he'll sit still long enough to listen to (or even look at!) a book. Maybe soon. :)
So happy that Emma Grace is learning to love books.
She looks so sweet sitting there reading. It won't be long until she will be reading to Jack.
Love you all...
So happy that Emma Grace is learning to love books.
She looks so sweet sitting there reading. It won't be long until she will be reading to Jack.
Love you all...
Post a Comment