Friday, December 26, 2008

Jack's smile and the "Huffum"

You'd think with a new baby and it being Christmas, I'd have lots to write about and plenty of pictures to show. But for some reason I'm just not in my normal blogging mood and I haven't taken any pictures in over a week! What is wrong with me? Sleep deprivation maybe? It's so true that you take less pictures of your second child. So sorry Jack. I'll try to do better this upcoming week.

We've had a busy Christmas-from WV to NC, we had a total of 8 Christmas celebrations to attend. In between opening gifts, eating my weight in chocolate covered everything, and visiting with family, I've also been nursing my little man, discovering he doesn't enjoy chocolate covered anything, and enjoying watching family members interact with Emma Grace. It's been fun to see our families. We really missed being in our home for Christmas and the special traditions we've started as a family but we are thankful to spend this time with our families who we so seldom get to see!

We're falling more and more in love with Jack. He's more alert these days but still pretty chill and calm most of the time (except when I'm eating lasagna with Italian sausage or the aforementioned gazillion pounds of chocolate). He is certainly a great gift from the Lord! He gave me his first smile last night while I was up feeding him. That definitely makes the sleep deprivation worth while!

Emma Grace seems like such a big kid to me now. Maybe it's because Jack seems so tiny compared to her. One of my favorite moments with her lately involves the "Huffum." In the last month or so, we invented the Huffman Hug. It came about because EG was getting jealous when Andy gave me a hug. Every time she saw him give me a hug, she wanted to be part of it. We therefore invented the Huffman Hug, which is just a giant family hug that occurs when any family member calls, "Huffman Hug." She pronounces it,"Huffum." She now initiates the Huffum every couple of days or so. Today, we were having a Huffum and she said, "let's get Nette!" (that's what she calls my mom) She wanted my mom to join the Huffman hug and we were very impressed with her ability to express her desires in such a clear sentence! How precious! Eventually my sister, mom and grandmother were all included in the Huffum. It's so fun to see her showing love. All those months of loving on her and now she too expresses love! It's just the best.

Seeing Jack's first smile and EG asking for a Huffum top my list of best gifts received this Christmas! I hope you had a great Christmas. Hopefully I'll get some pictures up really soon!

No comments: