Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Few Analogies


Andy has an amazing ability to make analogies. Sometimes he uses simple analogies to explain a complex concept to me. Other times his analogies are just plain silly.


Yesterday he told me that changing Jack's diaper was like being a wildlife officer trying to tag a wild animal. You know how they capture the wild animal, wrestle it into submission, tag it as fast as possible (all the while it's squirming and kicking) and then the moment they loosen their grip, the animal goes running or flying back into the wild. That analogy is dead on.


He's love for analogies is rubbing off on me...


Yesterday Andy cut my hair. My hair was getting too long and there aren't many options for a good haircut in my neck of the woods. Last time Laura cut my hair, but I was in desperate need of a trim and I didn't have time to go borrow the scissors from the local hair cutting place and find a time for her to come over and cut my hair. (why I won't let the actual hairdresser who owns the scissors near my hair is fodder for another post) Anyway, I was desperate. So I cut as much as I could in the front and then I talked him through how to cut the back part. I couldn't actually see what he was doing, but I told him exactly where to cut and how to hold the craft scissors.


I told him I felt like we were on one of those shows where a group of people is lost on an island and the only doctor in the group gets really sick. He of course has to talk a terrified trembling member of the group through how to take out his appendix with a pocket knife in order to save his life. Though we're not on a deserted island and it wasn't really a matter of life or death, Andy was as scared of cutting my hair as most people would be of performing surgery with a pocket knife and no training.
As for what my hair looks like now...Andy says the back of my head looks like the roof of a Spanish style home.

3 comments:

Mammanett said...

Both of those analogies were LAUGH OUT LOUD funny! Thanks for the laugh! I will think of your head and jacks bottom in a new light now!

Angie said...

You guys are stinkin' funny! And hey, Spanish style roofs are very fashionable! Wear it well, my friend!

kacki said...

Not only is Andy great at analogies, but sounds like he may have missed his calling as the new "john". I only wish I had saved my $$ and let him do mine!