I can't say that I'm a big fan of dying Easter Eggs with children under five. Maybe next year will be our year? Seriously, the kids love it but it tends to stress me out. This year was EG's best year yet! She's almost five so I am pretty sure she's on the brink of being officially "good" at this whole egg dying thing. She's meticulous and neat enough that it went really well on her side of the table. Jackie boy, on the other hand....well, he had lots of fun but most of his eggs were thoroughly cracked by the time they made it in the house. I knew from last years incident not to leave them in the basket. Maybe I am just scarred from last year?
I never actually wrote about what happened last year...around Easter we started to smell something terrible in our kitchen. I mean TERRIBLE. We cleaned out cabinets, pulled out the stove and dishwasher and cleaned back there. We started to check air vents. We eventually called the maintenance men from our apartment complex and we all came to the same conclusion...there must be a dead animal in our wall. The smell was unmistakable and we were all convinced. Yep, a rat or something had obviously crawled in there and died. That's how bad it smelled. We located the area of the wall the smell was coming from and they went to work, cutting big squares of the wall out in search of the rodent. And then Miguel, the head maintenance guy happened to be standing by our kitchen table and notice the smell there, which had previously been close to the stove (not near the table) As he leaned down to further investigate, his nose led him right to the "rodent"...a basket of rotting eggs on the table. Yep, Jack's eggs were all cracked and had been sitting in the kitchen giving off the smell of death. We all laughed and were mortified at the same time. At least the workers were the ones leading the charge on cutting up the wall. They were as convinced as we were. That made me feel a little better. So this year, I made sure every egg was perfectly intact before allowing it in the house!
There's a lot about Easter I do love...more to come on that in my next post!
3 comments:
Laughed so hard at this! LOVE that story!!!
Those eggs look so lovely! (make sure you keep count of them)
that is so funny!!!
Post a Comment