Saturday, August 23, 2008

Your town in need of cash?

If you went to your city council meeting and heard that your town was hard up for cash, what suggestion would you offer to help raise money for the town? Raise the taxes? Cut the budget? Have a city wide bake sale or spaghetti dinner? I'll tell you the answer our little town landed on a little later in this post!

For now, let me just fill you in on the last few days for my little girl...

I decided to let EG entertain herself by taking things out of a cabinet beside her bedroom door. She's obsessed with cabinet doors and with taking things out of cabinets and I figured it couldn't be too harmful. I was in the next room where I could hear her and could see if I looked around the corner. I heard some rustling of plastic and a rhythmic whoosh whoosh noise and came out to find this....


She managed to get the pack of wipes out of cabinet, out of the plastic and then peel back the tab and pull out about half of the wipes before I realized what was going on. She was in hog heaven! I just laughed and grabbed the camera. On Friday and Saturday, EG spent a total of 5 hours in our kiddie pool! I spent about 2 in there with her! We had a blast and I look like a lobster now. I thought to put sunscreen on her but not on myself!

Also on Saturday we had some kids from the neighborhood over to play. You'll remember "Do you like Cornflakes" and some of the other kids from our Christmas and pizza parties...



Ok-the answer that our town has come up with to the previous question is to pawn off our pine trees! That's right-our town is digging up all the beautiful pine trees and hauling them off to an undisclosed location. It's so sad. I almost cried when I saw what was going on. I don't actually know if there is a cash flow problem that led to the removal of these 30ish year old trees but I just can't imagine what else would motivate them to dig up these great shade trees and replace them with these scrawny little things...This has all happened so fast. They didn't give us any warning or time to say goodbye. They literally started yesterday digging up the trees, roots and all with a gaint crane and placing them on giant trucks to hual off and plant somewhere else. By this morning half the town was pine treeless and the new tress were already in! Only one strip of road still has the pine trees. As you can see, they've already put in the new ones and by tomorrow these pines will be goners! We went to take one last look and say goodbye. Andy and I just cannot figure this one out. It may be a cutlural difference-an appreciation for older trees is an American thing maybe? And these pines aren't that old-Andy says 30 years max. All I know is that our quaint little town forgot to invite us to the city council meeting when they made this decision! If I would've been there I surely could have come up with some other solution to our cash flow problem! Banana bread and spaghetti anyone?

3 comments:

kacki said...

So sad when mature trees are eliminated! But I have to admit that the city of Charleston has made similar poor tree removal decisions, too.
Eg is so funny, the look on her face with those wipes is priceless--almost like the look Marv gave us when we returned home early one evening and she drove up in my car with the top down--and all this before she had her license. Her comment was "this isn't OK?...."
I also loved seeing all the kids. I know the Lord is smiling as you are having this huge impact on the next generation of China!
We love you all and are so thankful for your obedience to Him.

Josh said...

Sounds like you guys need to form a Homeowners' Association to prevent future occurrences of this type of problem.

Mammanett said...

EA - dad says
In case of future town cash flow problems, maybe you should inform the town council of the cheese-saving method!!

Sorry you lost your big trees - that makes me sad!