Their family is from the coastal part of the motherland so we appropriately had seafood hotpot.
Can I just say I have come a long way in my ability to eat Chinese food. I took it to a whole new level this week by partaking of this spicy boiling pot of mussels and squid and calms and oysters. Andy commented that we enjoyed an "authentic Chinese New Year meal, complete with stomach issues to follow!" We really liked the crab legs and lobster! And the cake...
We got the cake at the Chinese Market and they loved having an authentic Chinese style cake to celebrate! And so did we!
Chinese cakes taste not sweet enough for the first few years you eat them. But about year 5 they start to taste really good. Light, fluffy cake, not too sweet, with a light fluffy icing-and candied fruit. Yum Yum.
The best part of the evening-the company.
Our kids love these A Yi's, Fen, Jing, and Ping. They were so kind and even gave our kids the traditional hong baos (red envelopes with money-kids receive them each new year from neighbors and family) Such a blessing to be able to celebrate with Chinese friends!
3 comments:
So fun! And can I just say I really like Chinese cake now--what you said is SOO true!! The first few years you think it is gross, but it really grows on you. Chinese bread, not so much. :)
Love seeing the smiles on the kids' faces.
I read that it's the year of the rabbit---so much better than the year of the rat.
Anyway, happy new year and I am so thankful you all are celebrating in USA!!
How fun! Your new friends are so beautiful! Glad you had a good time!
Post a Comment