Monday, May 12, 2008

Returning to my generic cereal roots....

In order to really understand the significance this story has to me, you have to know a little bit about my history with generic cereals. See, I have this wonderful cousin, Brandi who is 6 months to the day older than me. (Brandi, Haley (her daughter) and me at mother's day last year)
Growing up we spent a lot of time together-every Friday night we "performed" a new dance (which was really the same dance every week just with different outfits) for my entire extended family during our Friday night family get-togethers. We were really great friends but Brandi had something I always wanted-BARBIE CEREAL. Barbie Cereal is something most of you never heard of but it was a much coveted "name brand" commodity that she got every week and I didn't. We had generic cereal. My mom refused to pay top dollar for Barbie or any of the other much loved name brands. So, after years of jealously, sadness, and soggy generic breakfasts-I finally got what I wanted. My mom actually bought a box of Vintage Barbie Cereal for me in college and gave it to me for Christmas. (I still have it by the way!) This was my moment-I could shut the door on my generic past and move confidently into the world of name brands. And for a while I did-eating such wonders as Smart Start and Frosted Mini Wheats. But these days it seems I'm back at square one-except this time I am eating generic cereal and paying 5 dollars a box for it! See, in our country, breakfast foods are a whole different ball game so Andy and I stick to cereal. We sometimes buy a cornflakes, which are made here and are reasonably priced. But we really really love two special IMPORT ONLY cereals. Me, Frosted Mini Wheats and Andy, Honey Bunches of Oats. These are imported and pricey but we splurge sometimes and get them. This week I went to the import store to pick up a couple boxes only to find that our namebrands had been replaced-with generic cereal at the same expensive price! I mean if you're gonna go to all the trouble of importing cereal, at least get the real deal. So here we are eating our "Frosted mini Spooners" and "Honey and Oat Blenders" at a whopping 5 dollars a box! (I have to commend Malt-o-meal for making a pretty good imitation, but come on, what is a "spooner" anyway?) Guess you can't really ever escape your roots...

3 comments:

Vickie said...

I can't imagine paying $5.00 for any cereal, much less a generic!! As for generic cereal, you were doomed before birth! It all began with G-maw and the most awful generic cereal ever made - "Puffed Wheat". It was supposed to be like Sugar Smacks but was nothing like it!! It was like eating stale miniture rice cakes - just crunch and air but no flavor. YUCK!! It came in HUGE bags and was cheap and since G'maw was a single Mom back before there was a "name" for single moms and she was trying to fill up 3 kids, one of whom was Uncle Bill who was hollow down to his size 13 toes, it was what she could afford. So I look back on generic cereals with a somewhat nostalgic eye. However, I must confess that I refused to buy them until I had "hollow" boys to feed, then the Malt-O-Meal version of Fruit Loops became common in our house. To this day, I think my guys prefer the Malt-O-Meal "fruit loops" over the brand name.

Love you guys & miss you terribly!
Vickie

kacki said...

Andy will tell you of the times we were at the beach and I bought the gnereic soft drinks. Ask him about it...he and the others couldnt wait for Tim to return cause he would get them the "real deal". I guess we all have our priorties on how we spend!! Anyway, i am happy to see your smiling faces as you eat and enjoy!
Also, thankful to hear you all are safe and sound!!
Love you!

Mammanett said...

See there - I was just preparing you for the future!!

And by the way - I am a true beliver that you can find anything on the internet. What are spooners you say??????????

Spooner- a city in WI
Spooner - a type of glass from the 1900'2


spoonerism (Noun)
the accidental changing over of the first sounds of a pair of words, often with an amusing result, such as hush my brat for brush my hat,
-It's roaring with pain (It's pouring with rain)
-Wave the sails (Save the whales)
-Beeping Sleauty (Sleeping Beauty)
-The Pea Little Thrigs (The Three Little Pigs)

hey, this is fun!
And now YOU know!