Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sleeping in?

One of the reasons Andy and I were excited to get away for two days and a night was the opportunity to sleep in. You see, my little lovebug, as cute as she is, has an internal alarm clock that goes off between 6:30 and 7am. Even if I wanted to sleep in-7 am is the limit. Now that's not that early but if I want any time to myself before she gets up my wake up time is early, really early. It's so good for my soul and for my perspective throughout the day if I can get up when all is still quiet and spend some time with the Lord. Now that doesn't happen everyday, but when it does-things just seem to go much better!
So you can imagine Andy and I were both excited for the chance to sleep til our bodies woke us up! No alarm clocks. No 'get me outta here cause I need something to drink really badly cries'. Just us, comfy pillows, a room with AC and curtains that made the room dark. yes! You can also imagine that we were both quite disappointed in ourselves when we awoke at 6:30 for no reason at all. We managed to stay in bed til a little after 7-but man, what is wrong with us? I have two guesses-one might be that I fell asleep at 8:30 last night while we were finishing Swiss Family Robinson. I managed to wake up to finish it and watch a little TV (a hotel treat for us since we don't have TV at home) before I actually went to bed for the night. But my early bedtime might have contributed to our early wake time. Secondly, this is just where we are in life right now. We don't sleep in so our bodies don't know what to do when we try to. SAD. I remember the days when 7 sounded so early to me. I am sure my mom remembers even better trying to drag me out of bed to get me to school on time. Sorry about that mom.
Aside from our inability to sleep in, the time away was great. We were able to relax, have fun, eat great food and do some talking, praying and planning! Much needed! The best part was the 5 dollar 1984 bathing suit that I wore to the pool. Andy said I shouldn't put a picture of it on here so I won't-but man, it was awesome! I forgot my swimsuit so we went out and bought one for me. There were several choices but I landed on the teal one piece with a sequined belt and some kind of mesh material swooping from side to bottom. WOW-if the 80's are back in then I am way in style!
Emma Grace did great without us. We missed her lots but also enjoyed a break! Here we are eating at this really fun, delicious Thai restaurant!

The hotel where we stayed was having a wedding so I took some pictures of the cars for you! Remember two weeks ago I wrote about Chinese wedding traditions and how they decorate cars? These were too good not to show you! This symbol is called the "shuang xi" which means "pair of joys." This is a common symbol for well-wishing, blessing in weddings...The hood ornament. I guess they don't drive super fast with these things on their cars...Well that's all from us for now. It's 8:40pm here so it's about my bedtime!

2 comments:

Mammanett said...

So glad you guys took time for you two. Sooo important!
love you bunches!
Mom

kacki said...

You both look happy and healthy---I only hope you will bring your new swimsuit to use here in the states!!
Love and miss you all.