Thursday, October 16, 2008

Flower Arranging Class

Yesterday some girlfriends and I went to a flower arranging class. It was at the wholesale flower market that we went to back in August. I got some gorgeous flowers while there for next to nothing and the best part by far was learning the Chinese art of flower arranging! I must say that the definition of beauty really does vary from culture to culture! Check it out and see what you think of Chinese flower arranging!

The teacher (who happened to have a really thick accent) As if trying to learning flower arranging in my second language wasn't hard enough-he had to have a thick accent! I got the basics of what he was saying. One thing I did pick up is that Chinese flower arranging is all about the paper!
As you can see, each individual flower must be wrapped in several layers of paper and then put into a bouquet type arrangement which must also be wrapped about 10 layers. No joke!


Unfortunately I forgot to get a picture of the finished product but it was HUGE and had lots of paper surrounding it. We learned how to make the bows that go on the finished product. Here we are sporting our handicrafts!


They didn't have any blue ribbon...

My personal favorite was learning how to make the stand up arrangements more so than the bouquets. Here's Laura working on hers!
And here I am pretending to add something to the teacher's. We learned that in flower arranging it is important to have straight lines, circles, triangular shapes as well as depth.The teacher's finished product:Here we are holding our finished products. I managed to get the straight and the circles but failed on depth and triangles. Laura did a great job with depth.
My arrangement at home. It got a little damaged on the ride home. Oh well! I am sure you still think it's beautiful.

That's Chinese flower arranging in a nutshell! What do you think?


5 comments:

Andy and Sheryl said...

You're such a cool girl! I can't wait to see you!

Mammanett said...

That is wonderful - will you teach me?

Mammanett said...

by the way - cool new background!

kacki said...

I love yours and Laura's too!

Andy and Sheryl said...

By, the way, you have to check the post from yesterday on my blog.