We invite you to join us via the blog as we begin this journey of packing up and moving our family back across the globe to the land of chopsticks, noodles and 1.4 billion people. Now that's a lot of people, eating a lot of noodles with a lot of disposable chopsticks. 
Our time in America is quickly coming to a close and our packing efforts began in earnest tonight. We dropped EG off at the grandparents. She's great at UNpacking so we desperately needed a helping hand with her! After we took a quick trip to Walmart to get some last minute items and some STRONG coffee, Andy and I began stuffing and re-stuffing our bags as to fit as much as possible in each one. I've never been good at staying under the weight limit and it's getting even tougher for me as our family grows and the weight limit shrinks with each trip we make!
Along with our clothes, a 3 year supply of deodorant and a stash of new books, we are packing many random items like Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner, extra fat crayons (for little Huffman hands to use!), Zesty Italian Dressing Mix, and Crushed Red Pepper Flakes.
It's always a challenge to pack up my American life into a few bags and even more so now that we have two little ones to think about. In the short 2 1/2 months of his life, our little man has already gotten a total wardrobe makeover 3 times! He's a growing boy so we have to have lots of sizes for him to grow into! EG loves to read these days (no English books where we're headed) and she's grown attached to several new toys so we're packing those up as well!
The good news-it's just stuff. And stuff won't make me happy, though I often buy into the lie that it will. Though I really really don't like the process of packing up my family and living like a nomad, it's good for me. It's good for me to be reminded that it's all just stuff and that the bag of starbursts that I had to leave out won't make me happy anyway.
So here we go...packing, repacking, saying goodbye to our families and emotionally preparing for a brutally long flight with 2 under 2-all to land us in a foreign place. We're either insane or in love.
Yes. It's love. And the one we're in love with is worth all of this! Now that makes packing exciting! It's 2:30 am and we're just getting started!
2 comments:
Now I know why you were emailing at 1am!
Hope the packing went well. I can't believe you left out the starbursts...oh wait, I have an idea: stuff EG's pockets with Starbursts before you get on the airplane. It can be her "carry-on", and when she needs a little snack, well, I'm sure a straight dose of sugar will make for a really fun trip :)
Erin Ashley! I recently found your blog and have loved reading about what's going on in your life. Congrats on your boy - he's adorable! I had heard from Chelsea Dickey that you were back in the US, but when I saw you at the dentist's a few months ago, I was so surprised to see you! Good luck as you travel back across the world and know that you and your whole family are in my prayers. God bless!
Post a Comment