After living overseas for 7 years, I feel really drawn to other cultures. There is something really comforting about being around people who aren't from my own home culture. I like Americans, don't get me wrong, hehe, but I just really enjoy people from other countries. One unexpected blessing from this year has been how international the area is! We live close to a few colleges, one of which has a huge foreign student program. When I open my door, I hear Vietnamese across the hall and smell the garlicky meat they cook on their porch. We have neighbors from the Ukraine, Haiti, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Kenya, Poland, India, Korea, Colombia, and Dubai and quite a few white American college students! It's been a blessing to be surrounded by so many different cultures. So far this year I've gotten to try Arabic coffee, see my fully covered Muslim friend uncovered in her home, try sushi made by our Japanese friend, and I've been "smoked" with fragrances by my friend from Dubai. Our kids also have the blessing of learning about the nations. Today in our apartment we had 4 countries represented in the kids playing! I am thankful that the nations are at our doorstep. How fun.
5 comments:
i love that jack has his guitar with him :) or maybe he is pretending it's a banjo?
so fun!
Very, very, very cool!!!
You have your very own parade of nations! Love it!
I put this picture on face book & one of my friends said it looks like the little rascals & you know, it kinda does. :)
I love this! So glad you guys are in a place where you are surrounded by internationals. He is good!
Post a Comment