Thursday, November 12, 2009

Breakfast At Panera

One of my favorite memories from our first six months of marriage is getting up on Saturday mornings and heading to Panera for coffee and bagels. The cinnamon crunch bagel is on my top 10 list of foods that have changed my life (and my waistline). The best part about the Charleston Panera is the giant fireplace and comfy leather chairs.

Here in China, when we discuss what's for breakfast, I still often suggest a Panera run-though we are thousands of miles away from the nearest cinnamon crunch bagel. This is the closest thing to a "Panera Run" we've got....


Load the fam in the minivan...

walk about 1/4 of a mile to the market...

And decide between the Baozi (a steamed bun with meat or veggies inside) and the Erkuai...kinda like a breakfast burrito...kinda...They grill up this donut type thing and fold it up and stuff it in the rice wrapper. (which is like a tortilla but made with rice) Then you pick what you want to go inside. Andy loves the sweet peanut butter sauce. I like that, but I also add the spicy sauce and some pickled veggies. It's the most indigenous thing I eat. Jack enjoyed the Baozi.

EG, on the other hand, was more in the mood for a Cinnamon Crunch Bagel...Bon appetit!

4 comments:

Paul said...

some op that is real good and I would enjoy anytime, some of that --- well I agree with Emma Grace.

Mammanett said...

Emma Grace- I totally agree with you. Tell mommy that McDonalds is not too far away (by car).

Sara and Wade said...

What a face!!:) Thanks again for another "taste" of your life over there! I wish I could send a cinnamon crunch bagel to you - they are a favorite in our house too! Have you tried the "stinky tofu"? I tried it once and it lived up to it's name for sure.

kacki said...

EG, I'm with you on the breakfast food choices you had! But the ride in the minivan and the fun family time is still my kind of a great start to a day!!