I have talked before about giving thanks for my eyesight. Today I did it again. It was prompted this time by a conversation with Carmen, an older sister in the Lord who has lost her eyesight almost completely. Prior to losing her sight, Carmen read the word of God A LOT and she traveled to many other countries teaching his word. Now, she uses a walking stick, is completely dependent on others for guidance and transportation and can't make new relationships at church unless others initiate because she can't see anyone.
So as we talked today, I listened to her story of crying out to the Lord as she began to lose her sight and how she prayed that the Lord would preserve her ability to read his word. By his grace, she can still manage to read a few verses each day.
Though most would say Carmen can not see, I would say she sees more clearly than most of us do. She is one of the most alive women I have met in our church body. And it's because she spent so many years using her eyes and her heart to read his word...to behold her God. And now she continues to meditate on the few verses she can read each day and she listens to the word on audio, still using the eyes of her heart to behold her God.
Today I am thankful for my dear sister Carmen. For her love of God's word and the way she has seen God in the word all these years. I am thankful for how God has used her suffering to give her deeper eternal riches. I am thankful for my eyesight today.
And I pray for the hunger for God's word that will cause me to use my eyes to behold him more clearly as he reveals himself in his world.
No comments:
Post a Comment