Monday, May 26, 2014

GRATITUDE 149 Two birds, One stone

Recently I told the Lord that I was getting discouraged.  It felt that the bigger things in life that I pray for and want never happen.  I'm talking about kingdom things. (Not like I want a new car or something)  I pray for people to know him or for healing or for him to use our family in certain ways in his kingdom work.  And it seems/feels that my prayers just bounce back right in my face.  The truth is that my Father is listening and he is answering according to his perfect wisdom, but I am weak and never seeing answers gets really discouraging over time.

If I really think about it...he answers prayers all the time for me.  Grace for me as I parent.  Change in my marriage.  Joy in him rather than my circumstances.  He is answering LOTS of my prayers for sure.  But still the prayers I would put in the "big" category seem to always be answered with a no.

So I just told him. "God I am really discouraged.  I need to know that you are listening."  I even went as far as to ask him to answer one of these big prayers to give me a little encouragement.

And he did.

There's a prayer that I've been praying for years with absolutely no sign of him answering.  I think I started praying for him to move in a certain person's life in college.  My most vivid memory of praying for this dear one was in China.  I was on a walk listening to Rascal Flatts, which always reminded me of home.   I prayed with tears for a person I love so much my chest hurts when I pray for them.

And just this week, after all these years, I got word that my prayers are being answered.  I stood in my kitchen and cried happy tears.  They were tears of joy.  Joy that this person so dear to me is experiencing the goodness of God in their life.  The were tears of relief.  I have wanted so much for this person to know the joy and peace that comes in walking closely with Christ.

Not only did God answer my prayers for this person, but he graciously answered my doubting, discouraged prayer of "God show me you are listening."  His answer to my prayer for this person was also the answer to my discouraged prayer...God killed two birds with one stone, so to speak.  He is so gracious, so tender with those who are weak in faith like me.  Instead of calling me to just keep trusting his character and promises (which is certainly enough!!) he kindly answered...reminding me he is listening and in his perfect timing, HE DOES ANSWER.

I want to keep praying big prayers of faith.  For mountains that seem impossible to move.  For chains that seem impossible to break.

For nothing is impossible with Christ.  And he loves to listen and answer the prayers of his people for his glory and for their joy.


1 comment:

Mammanette said...

Thank you God - for throwing this stone and hitting these people at just the right time. :)