Monday, June 2, 2008

Emma Grace verses the Earwigs

In one corner we have the underdog-Emma Grace Huffman. Though she's bigger than her opponent, she has very soft delicate skin which has proven to be quite a disadvantage considering her opponent's secret weapon. Though she has already lost to her opponent two times now, she's has dogged determination and was heard saying to her opponent, "I won't stop til I've chewed you up and spit you out!" (literally) Check out that scar on her face-grrrrrrr....she's toughIn the other corner, we have the current holder of the "insect verses human" heavy weight belt, Mr. Earwig-his friends call him wiggy. Though small, this guy has quite a set of claws on him and has managed to pinch Emma Grace into surrender right before she crunched down on him in both matches. It will be interesting to see if his quick reflexes will continue to save him from the bite of the bigger, prettier Emma Grace "4 teeth" Huffman.

You might remember me telling you that Emma Grace was recently bit by some kind of bug that was assumed was not poisonous. Well, he struck again. We live on the first floor and recently these ugly bugs have managed to find their way into our home-so far we've found 3. Well, I should say, Emma Grace has found three. In the first match, several weeks ago, I, the referee stepped in just before anyone got hurt. ( I found Emma Grace trying to pick up one of these bugs and eat it) In the second round, which took place in the stroller, Wiggy took the title by biting (so I thought) Eg's finger. In this last match, Andy and I heard a scream from behind the couch and found Emma Grace in tears with her finger in her mouth, while Mr Wigs gloated over his victory. After giving Mr Wigs the victory toilet flush, Andy did some research and found out the identity of these little guys-Earwigs, a common insect throughout the world-not poisonous who acutally don't bite but pinch. So now we know his secret weapon against our soon to be one year old. Unfortunately she won't give up, so this referee is busy keeping a close eye on her and any Earwigs who come into our house looking for a fight.

To be quite honest, I am glad these little guys pinch EG. it's enough to scare her and give me time to intervene before she eats them! Seriously, the girl puts everything in her mouth. On another eating note-today she tried chicken noodle soup and loved it. I made the soup on Friday and she and I had the leftovers today. I can imagine that big people food has a lot more flavor than those pureed veggies she's been eating.

We had a pretty relaxing weekend-our friend's David and Marianne came out to the country for a sleepover. We watched the season finale of Lost and had cupcakes. So fun. Andy is busy with work and I am trying to get a few things together to EG's birthday party this weekend. Will post pictures of that!

2 comments:

kacki said...

That precious little thing is much braver than her Kacki---i would have been running in the opposite direction had i seen an ugly bug like "Wiggy". She is one heck of a "woman"!!
Can't wait to see her party pics!!
Wish we could be there to help celebrate her big day!!
Love you all!

Mammanett said...

Oh Emma Grace - you kill every one of those that you see. I HATE Earwigs, they creep me out! AND guess what I discoverd loves to make home in my flower beds - yep! you got it - EARWIGS. EWWWWW. They are yucky. Wonder why they call them Earwigs?????? I don't EVEN want to know!