Thursday, June 12, 2008

I feel like I have a lot to say, so I'll get right to it: Here's the run down of our week (Emma Grace's Brithday week)

We had her official birthday party Saturday, which was a lot of fun. We had quite a gaggle of American kids here. Emma Grace recieved sevreal new toys that she really likes and the highlight of course was the cupcake.

Sunday: Andy went camping with a group of guys so it was just us girls on our own. We headed into town for Kayleigh's bday party Sunday afternoon. (Kayleigh is one year older than Emma Grace to the day!!! They are both our June 10th girls.) Emma Grace and I got Kayleigh this really really cute broom and apron. The thing about China is that things are never really that simple-I actually had the apron made by a local taylor. Costs about $2.50 and took about an hour-pretty good deal if you ask me. The broom-also not as simple as just heading out to walmart and picking it up. They don't make kid brooms here so I bought a full size one, went to my local shoe repair stand at the market and had them cut it down to 2 year old size. My friend Ellie then helped me write her name on the dust pan with cute stickers and VOILA-a cute gift!!! China requires creativity at times! She loved the broom and Alisa told me she's been sweeping ever since she got it! Funny side note: my friend Ellie went to a toy market to look for the broom. She told them she was looking for a TOY broom. They didn't have it and as she was walking away she heard them say, "Man those foreigners are hard core, they make their little kids start cleaning really early!" HEHE.

Monday: Andy returned from his camping trip-they had a great time. No rain which is a big deal during the rainy season. We might go camping for our anniversary-jury still out. we may also go to a fancy hotel-we'll see what kind of mood I am in. Anyway, onto Monday-This next picture needs quite the preface.

Preface, part 1: First of all, I'm from North Carolina-Barbeque (pork) capital of the world. The most delicious pork bbq you can imagine comes from within miles of my house. Last year, that was the first meal I wanted when we got back to NC. Andy has been asking me for years to make BBQ here but my standards were just way too high. I knew whatever I made would be a disappointment. But upon losing a bet to my hubby, my payment was to try my hand at BBQ-and IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! This Monday I made it for the second time and if Hersey's (a local NC bbq resturant) was a 10, then mine was a 9.8. I was shocked at how good it was. And the left overs were even better. I am not a great cook but I was so shocked that I had to write about it.

Ok, Preface part 2: The picture. I got the recipe for the sauce from allrecipes.com-one of my most frequently visisted websites. I really enjoy this webiste. They have some great recipes and the reader reviews are really helpful. BUT-and a big BUT-taking pictures of food is quite an art form. The webiste allows users to post pictures of the things they have made from the website and let me just say-after seeing some of those pictures the last thing I want to do is try the recipe. I am sure the food was good, but taking a good picture of foods-one that looks appetizing and makes the viewer hungry for it-well that's really hard to do. Andy and I literally laugh out loud at some of the pictures. Sometimes we are not even sure what it is supposed to be. Anyway, so I can't beleive I am posting a picture of my food-but just know that my picture does not do it justice. We enjoyed the BBQ along with some really yummy homemade mac and cheese, hush puppies, and corn on the cob. And who can forget the sweet tea? So, here's my hubby's first attempt at food photography. He should keep his day job.




Tuesday: HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMMA GRACE! We had a fun day. Andy took the morning off and we talked on the webcam to both our parents. We opened gifts, played and even ate a breakfast cupcake all while on the webcam.

Andy and I took EG out for some chinese food for lunch-she gobbled it up. Then in the evening some local friends came over to celebrate with us. There was one last cupcake and a little Emma Grace melt down. I am pretty sure all the stimulation of the past several days combined with the sugar shock sent our little one right over the edge. But no fear, some quite snuggle time with mommy and a good night's sleep and she was back to normal. Well, almost. She is insanely active these days-could that sugar still be in her body? I couldn't get a good 12 month picture. First attempt-shirt got covered in chocolate icing. 2nd attempt-she wouldn't hold still long enough. Maybe third time's a charm. will try again after I wash the shirt for the 3rd time!


Wednesday and Thursday have been pretty low key. We needed that. I am getting ready to take her to the doctor for her 1 year shots though. sad. will let you know how that goes.

All in all, a really fun week.


3 comments:

Patt said...

Andy and EA, enjoyed your BBQ story - the food picture really did look good! And happy birthday to little Emma Grace - sounds like you had a fun week celebrating. Thanks for the offer of the apartment - the timing works out great and we are so grateful! Patt

Mammanett said...

Andy - I think your food plate looks quite nice , however, the picture of you on the web cam with your family is even better. Good job EA!
Love the broom story! Even more love the pom pom head.
Thanks for the update. Checking on apts. for you guys.
Love you, miss you!

kacki said...

Emma Grace and her "birthday week"---I love a girl that loves to party, especially love her new "hairdo"! It was fun seeing her watch the webcam...her view of the highlight of our week!
Tomorrow is Becca's wedding and i have the distinct pleasure of taking Will's son, Cooper, to the church. He is just a couple of weeks older than EG. I am happy to practice my "Gram Kacki" skills!
Love and miss you all!